Friday, September 18, 2026

Shoot It!

What’s your favorite shot in sports history? (I know that some significant home runs are called ‘shots’ but for this post I’m sticking with hoops and hockey.. soccer qualifies as well.)


Are you an MJ guy? If so, is the Cleveland shot your fave, or the "final shot" against Utah? 

I’m definitely not an MJ guy, so my favorite NBA shots would include the Kawhi Leonard bounce-bounce-swish against Philly - which felt like it was the end of a movie. 

The Ray Allen corner 3 against the Spurs is a big one, too. While I liked UConn Ray and Milwaukee / Boston Ray .. I did not like Heatles Ray. 

For a long time my favorite was Reggie Miller's destruction of the Knicks, especially when he gave Spike Lee the choke signal. But my new number one is Dame Time ending OKC and then mugging under a pile of teammates. 


I don't watch nearly as much college hoops as I used to, but Christian Laettner was an absolute killer

Taking big shots (or big swings) in big moments is not as easy as it sounds, even for a pro. You can't be afraid to fail. You have to trust your instincts and believe. 


This was exactly what I needed this week. Especially after last week's downer of an episode, when Roy and Keeley got their wires crossed and Beard misread signals from a much younger woman. 

[Editor’s note: wait.. did you...?]

...

How about hockey? Lots of iconic shots there, too. Excluding international goals from Paul Henderson, Mike Eruzione, Sidney Crosby, and Jack Hughes, here are a few memorable shots that come to mind:

Steve Yzerman’s rip from the blueline to eliminate the Blues in the 1996 playoffs.

Evgeny Kuznetsov’s eagle eyed shot to finally take down Pittsburgh in 2018, punctuated by the flapping bird celly. 

A couple sentimental favorites of mine include Fernando Pisani's overtime shorty vs Carolina and "Henrique… it’s over!" to send the Devils to the final in 2012. Even though they didn't win the ultimate prize, these shots kept their chances alive. 


You know who never lacks confidence? Soccer players. Doesn't matter if they're chunky chain smokers or chiseled Greek Swedish gods they just find a way to score regardless of the odds, or the angle, or the stage. 

[Editor’s note: bro, did you shoot your shot or not?]


Of course, even the best have been known to fail. As incredible and significant as a perfect shot can be... shooting and missing - especially when you can line up your shot ahead of time - is equally memorable. 




[Editor’s note: you blew it.]






No! No. I didn't blow it. I happened to see her coming home with her dog, and I happened to be on my way to Dunkin, so I... asked her if she wanted anything. And she didn't. It's fine. No big deal. It's fine! 

[Editor’s note: wait, did you ask her if she wanted anything or did you say ‘can I get you anything’?]

I said.  I um.. what’s the difference?

[Editor’s note: it’s a big fuckin difference, mate]

Whatever. She's really fit; maybe she just doesn't fuck with Dunkin because it's garbage.

[Editor’s note: so why were you on your way there?]


....



....I'm not talking to you anymore.




~

2 comments:

  1. As a Sabres fan, I still get chills from Rick Jeanneret calling "May Day!" during the 1993 OT playoff win against the Bruins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIENwvyozpM

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive