Tuesday, September 1, 2026

Four Months To Go

If I'm going to retire from card collecting at the end of 2026 (and that is a big IF), I have a lot left to do. Specifically, I need to prioritize what sets to complete and what single cards to look for in the next four months.

I searched for shopping spree images and found Steve Smith Sr.

As a way of narrowing my focus, I have updated my baseball, football, and basketball want lists. Hockey will follow eventually, but it's not like anyone reading this is sitting on mid-1990s Topps or SPx singles. 

I've spent the past month or so sending out several trade offers on TCDB looking to fill holes in my 1986 Topps and 2026 Topps set builds. It's been slow and steady so far, and if more offers are accepted I shouldn't need to purchase any more Topps flagship or Update singles. I'm trying to save my pennies for 2026 Topps Update anyhow.


A couple such trades arrived today, one from Justin aka Lightningfan7609. 

Justin had a sports card blog here years ago but now runs a team-focused news blog called Raw Charge.

Another PWE arrived from supergajit, who I've bought from on both TCDB and Sportlots. Summer is usually very reliable, but I'm gonna have to replace this diamond-cut Bert Blyleven:


And this heavily dinged Fernando Tatis Jr:

I was already annoyed because someone with three Tyler Booker cards declined my 19-card offer of hockey extras without an explanation or counter. Guess I'll have to buy my Bookers and burn all my Upper Deck hockey dupes (kidding)


Just when I was feeling frustrated with the process of attempting to exchange as many of my 2,000+ dupes and unneeded extras for as many set fillers and PC players as possible in the last third of the year.. blogger mainstay Billy saved the day. He had offered to boost my basketball card count, and sent some Holiday cheer across state lines:


I recently added 2025-26 Topps Holiday to my short list of basketball set builds. Might need to pick up another blaster or megabox this Christmas. (No, I'm not starting any '26-27 sets even if they're released before 1/1/27) 

This trade was already in my favor, and that's before Billy added a bonus:


I was expecting the Miro Heiskanen upgrade. I was not expecting the three Devils cards. While I do have complete base sets of Upper Deck hockey, I can always use Devils dupes for the team binder. 

Billy noticed that I had a car-shaped hole in my collection and sent over the first two auto racing cards I've ever owned. And, since he knows I collect Women on Cards, he chose two female drivers in "super girl" Brittney Zamora and noted Bad Bunny fan Danica Patrick. Thank you Billy!


I've got some more cards incoming from eBay and Sportlots, along with a few more TCDB trades that were accepted. If I'm going to check everythign off my list, this may have to be a full time job for the next four months. Just got to be careful not to break the bank.

Bruhh 😢




Thanks for reading!



~



No comments:

Post a Comment

Four Months To Go

If I'm going to retire from card collecting at the end of 2026 (and that is a big IF), I have a lot left to do. Specifically, I need to ...