Here's part two of the retro box break... and also part three of the Anniversary break?!?
Before opening any packs I perused the face cards to try and match the collecting preferences of my friends in the Anniversary break. So if you're collecting the base set or glossy All-Star set *cough* Fuji don't add any new singles to your set build until you receive these 😉
These are the packs I kept:
Yup, two Mel Hall cards in the same spot. I could not inflict that horror upon any of you, so I'm stuck with 'em.
I was too busy playing tic-tac-toe with Blue Jays to see there were two Enos Cabell cards facing front in the same spot as well. Not a single Hall of Famer base card facing front, but the Cecil Fielder RC might be the best card in the set anyhow.
Got two Tim Wallach All-Star cards facing front, too. Wonder why they seem to choose the same cards to top off each rack pack? And why they wouldn't put bigger names to entice kids to buy them? This was a BBCE sealed box so I know it wasn't searched. I checked the backs and found three Hall of Famers: Jim Rice, Rod Carew, and Steve Carlton. So the stars are in these packs -- at least some of 'em.There's no way I would have completed a Glossy set even if I'd kept every pack.
x Sparky Anderson
2 Eddie Murray
x Lou Whitaker
2 George Brett
1 Cal Ripken
x Jim Rice
1 Rickey Henderson
x Dave Winfield
1 Carlton Fisk
1 Jack Morris
1 American League team
1 Dick Williams
x Steve Garvey
x Tom Herr
x Graig Nettles
1 Ozzie Smith
1 Tony Gwynn
x Dale Murphy
1 Darryl Strawberry
1 Terry Kennedy
2 LaMarr Hoyt
x National League team
Six Padres seemed excessive until I remembered that 1) the 1986 set has 1985 All-Stars, and 2) the 1985 All-Stars were largely chosen based on their 1984 performance. San Diego won the NL pennant in '84 - but the Tigers won the World Series and they only had half as many cards in this insert set? Was the NL just totally bereft of name-brand players in '84-85?
As for the main set, I opened them pack-by-pack and sorted them on my kitchen table, just as I did with my first-ever set build which was actually 1987 Topps, but ..close enough.
I cracked these open during a rain storm, which reminded me of a similar day sometime in '86. My mom agreed to drive me to the corner store to pick up packs of Garbage Pail Kids and we got back home just as the sky darkened ominously. I remember spreading out my packs on the dining room table while thunder boomed and rain poured outside. Maybe I should rip a box of GPK for this Anniversary break?
![]() |
| 6 year-old me when I saw a 1 year-old card/sticker |
New Jersey hockey fans got a chance to see the Stanley Cup up close this week, more than 20 years after the Devils last won the championship.
Carolina Hurricanes forward Nick Deslauriers brought the trophy to North Wildwood, where fans posed for photos on the pier. Deslauriers, a former Philadelphia Flyer, said he grew to love the Jersey Shore during his time in the area.
The day before, Hurricanes assistant coach and Wood-Ridge native Bill Burniston brought the Stanley Cup to his hometown firehouse, Ridgewood High School, W’s Village Grill in Oakland and Parkwood Deli in Ridgewood, giving fans another chance to celebrate hockey’s biggest prize.











I see a Twins player on the top. I'm a WILD fan and am still hoping some year we can take the Cup. Those Chrome Platinum cards are fantastic! Enjoy it all.
ReplyDelete